The word ‘Selfie’ is officially in the Oxford Dictionary and the word of the year since 2013. It is defined as “a photo that one takes of them self or shared with others which is taken by a webcam, smart phone, and tablet and shared on selective social media of their choice”. The word has been used in many forms from social media, word of mouth, in sentence phrases and hash tags, Selfie had become a well known word for everyone. Nowadays there is so many up to date technology available for people to take pictures of them self and make it available across social media and even send them around to friends and family.
Back in the days to take a picture of yourself you needed to ask someone to take a picture of you as it was difficult with just a back camera on majority devices at that time, however with time technology has developed and front camera has come in to the market where it allows people to take a picture of them self via the front camera on the device without asking anyone to take one for them. You can take a Selfie in any form of way in your comfort time and zone. Taking a Selfie has become part of a daily routine for some people, they take a Selfie wherever they go such as whilst travelling, when meeting someone famous, when wearing their best outfit, had a new hair style and lots more, hundreds of Selfies are taken daily and shared on social media.
As Selfie is the current trend word going around so far, and there are always some advantages and disadvantages to it:
- Boosts up self confidence
- Easy to use
- Can be fun to use with more than one person
- Can capture memories
- Can be shared to friends/family via social media.
- Taking too many Selfies can lead to addiction and sickness.
- Taking a Selfie may increase size of face a little as a Selfie is taken close up.
- You are not able to take a full body Selfie, you are only able to capture the upper body, and for a full body Selfie you may need a Selfie stand.
- It may get difficult to capture a large amount of people in one Selfie.
- Some may miss use your Selfie , so make sure your privacy settings are correct on any social media site.